With spring forward also comes spring cleaning! Don’t forget about these important tasks that are often overlooked during spring cleaning:
- Ensure Safety: Change batteries and dust smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If you have children, teach them how to use a fire extinguisher, review fire escape routes, and remind them of stop, drop, and roll.
- Update First Aid Kit: In addition to replacing expired bandages and ointments, the kit should include a list of emergency numbers, especially the number for your closest poison-control center. Make sure these numbers are programed in all your cell phones, including you children’s.
- Change Furnace Filters: Have your furnace professionally inspected now, rather than during a busy season when you may have to wait for service. If you have a central air and heating unit, be sure to have drains, lines, and reservoirs inspected. If you like the person who came to do the work, schedule an appointment for next year.
- Washing Machine and Dryer: Vacuum out your dryer’s vent hose and scrub the lint filter with soapy water and a bristle brush. Check your washing machine’s user manual to perform recommended cleaning.
- Garage Door: Replace batteries on garage door openers and check the belts and chain on the opening mechanism.
- Home Security: If you have a home security system, schedule and run a test to make sure it works properly. Make sure everyone in the house knows how to set the alarm.
Home maintenance should be a regular task each year. Spring is the perfect time to complete these tasks because the longer days bring a new energy to you and your home. What other spring cleaning items do you do? Let us know in the comments below.