Protecting your home from thieves is an important step to ensuring your family’s safety and protection from loss. Here are some considerations that could improve your home’s security.
- Do you have deadbolts or door locks that need replacing? Thieves don’t want to work harder than necessary and will find the easiest point of entry.
- Do your windows properly lock? As window locks wear over time, many people forgo replacing them and simply leave them unlocked when closed.
- Are all other points of entry, such as the garage door or attic windows, fully closed and locked?
- Be wary of posting on social media that you are away, especially for extended periods of time.
- What do thieves really want? You may take precaution to lock up desirable items such as jewelry and firearms, but thieves may be looking for something completely different that they can sell quickly. For example, building materials such as copper coils from air compressors, lawn equipment, and sporting goods like kids’ bicycles are top targets. Consider locking your shed and installing motion-activated backyard lighting.