In recent years, frugality has become fashionable due to the recession and consumers’ desire to reduce waste to benefit our planet. Are you looking for ways to save cash and help our environment? Here are some tips for the fashionably frugal.
- Close vents in unused rooms to avoid paying unnecessary heating and cooling costs.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Unplug unused appliances.
- Use old magazines or newspapers as wrapping paper for presents.
- Avoid ATM fees by using your Hills Bank ATM card or debit card at any Hills Bank ATM.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated on your car and you are not hauling unneeded weight in your vehicle. This helps increase your gas mileage!
- Stick to your shopping list when you go to the store to eliminate impulse buying.
- Cut dryer sheets in half.
- Hang clothes to dry. Not only does this save electricity but it will extend the life of your clothes.
- Pay bills online to save money on stamps and checks. Sometimes companies provide discounts or other benefits for going paperless and having automatic payments!
- Chilling candles before you use them makes wax burn more slowly and evenly. Storing them in the refrigerator for eight hours before burning is enough to do the trick, but freezing them for 24 hours yields the best results.
- Store fruits and veggies separately to slow down the ripening process.
- Go to your local library and check out video games, fitness videos, and movies before purchasing them to make sure you actually enjoy them.
- Allot a small amount each month for items that are wants and not needs. This way you are not depriving yourself all the time, but still staying within your budget.
- Set up Google Alerts which are email updates based on search terms you choose to get coupons and deals related to products or stores you frequent.
- Consign your gently worn clothing for cash or credit towards your local consignment shop.
What are your fashionably frugal tips? Share your ideas in the comments below.